Creating mixed media images involves:
- Creating a textured background using a variety of brushes, colors, blend modes and opacity changes.
- Isolating the main image by removing or hiding the background
- Applying several different filters, blend modes and opacity changes to multiple layers of the main image which allows the textured background to display within the main image itself
- Adding text, newspaper print, vector graphics, sheet music etc to a portion of the image (optional)
- Painting in the details that were removed during the processes described above. In the horse, the hair in the mane and whiskers were painted in.